expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday 26 November 2020

A Story is not for Everyone

  
A Story is not for Everyone

 

I supposed to write my review on Voice of Silence(2020) upon finishing but as I felt so dumbfounded 

and speechless, I held it back first



First and foremost,

I would like to talk on the audience feedback on that film.

Despite the huge praise this low-budget movie has gotten, I also came across few bad review on this 

film 

saying that this film is not really good, slow-pace, having unsatisfying and hanging ending 

Well, they might be right or wrong


It reminds me of bad review from FB post about Burning 2018 movie by Haruki Murakami and several 

audience saying the same, "not really good, slow-pace, unsatisfying and hanging ending"

But little did they know, Burning 2018 got 95% rating from Rotten Tomatoes and won Grand Bell for 

Best Film in 2018

Burning 2018 alone chosen to be previewed in Cannes Film Festival 2018 and 

The New York Times has chosen Yoo Ah In as one of “The Best Actors of 2018” from this film

But to prove it is really brilliant, I watched it by myself 

and 

was 

astonished



No wonder it got such big success and there was also a lot of film expert/critic 

publish their reviews to answer this film's hidden message thru videos on YouTube and articles

If I want to write review for Burning 2018, it might be in a separate entry later

Because the discussion is huge


Honestly, 

When I watched some movie or drama, 

always 

rely 

and 

believe 

in 

my 

very 

first 

impression 

and 

view


Then I will look into other people's points of view

Same as watching Kdrama, I don't really trust rating until I have watched it on my own regardless how 

successful that drama was


For example, watching Train to Busan makes me think that it is the best zombie/disease epidemic

movie at first 



But I doubting when I watch Rampant(2018) 

I am not sure if Train to Busan hit jackpot due to having star leading actor that many audience 

favored, Gong Yoo and due to the charisma of the heroic character, Ma Dong-seok 

I love Gong Yoo in his charm and gentleman character in Train to Busan but laid-back and rebellious 

Hyun Bin in Rampant steal my heart then after 😆



I mean...the character, man!

So I choose sword instead of baseball stick to fight zombie

How about you?

The storyline and conflict in both film is super good and unique but I love Rampant's conflict even 

more

For Alive(2020) which become first Korean movie hit first rank in Netflix, I will write in a separate 

entry as I have something to say about it



When I watched one of a blockbuster movie, Ashfall(2019) I don't found it really intriguing as it might 

show in trailer

Disclaimer, that is my only review and if I said that it is not really captured me, it doesn't mean that is 

not good

These 3 main actors, Lee Byung-hun, Ha Jung-woo and Ma Dong-seok were Chungmuro actors!



They all brilliant and impressed me with their natural acting

It just.....the storyline is going here and there

When director try to mix all the elements, I can't truly feel the core feelings in this film

It's like eating a lunch menu where it has all dinner, breakfast, supper menu altogether 😅

Here got natural disaster, politic, army, melodrama, bromance and somehow light comedy between 

both main lead!

It is different with other natural disaster film like Tidal Wave (2009) where we can't see too many 

elements in a single film



Ashfall with the flawless cinematography got several genres in one film but somehow I think it is too 

many to be digested

Actually, most of Korean films tend to put many elements together but for Ashfall, 

I think it is a little bit messy and got me 'wait.....what?' moment

Maybe that is what makes it as an epic blockbuster film of the year

When it is about to get serious, then suddenly there got some sad scene 

and in the middle of tight situation, some humor come to the surface all of sudden 😂


I notice there is some community in net don't really like Suzy Bae for her acting due to lack of emotion 

Sometimes I need to agree with them but seeing her in Ashfall make me feel proud as I can see her 

character blooming by her own as she got her own spotlight from her escape and survival story

At first, I hate it when she scolding her husband thru the phone as she just knew he currently landed at 

North Korea which I think is unnecessary to be added in the midst of hardship the film is headed to

But guys...she is 9 months pregnant,  her car got hit by the sea waves, in the middle of cracking road, 

on the bridge, the car thrown into sea and she survived, thanks to her swimming skills and I 

was......that's bravo!

Her character contrary with the first impression I got when she scold and crying thru phone

I then, revert my bad impression of her character and she deserve plaudit! 😂

That is all about Ashfall


In spite of that, some of films got me nodded with the success and rating they have achieved

After watching Parasite(2019), I really think it worth the massive hype and award! 

It is super fresh and out of box, peeps..

It has a lot of hidden message and open a room for discussion for a day, straight

It was undeniably superb!




Ode to My Father won Grand Bell for Best Film in 2015 and I cried again even after watching it for the 

third time! 

It was outstanding, the comedy, the melodrama, the chaotic atmosphere and the history timeline were 

very accurate and on point!



Veteran become a trend-setter for the line 'I'll be damned' by character Jo Tae Oh and reach box office 

in 2015

It doesn't surprise me after watched it as it is one of the best comedy-action film in this era


Everyone has watched a very popular family melodrama/crime, Miracle in Cell no 7(2013) and I even 

moved several times watching it




And there got a lot more Saguek film that worth watching as well and I agree to the excellent number 

of rating after watching by myself




However,

I'm not surprised of having different view with other audience 

as I think we all have our own perspective towards the movie and it might changed by time, mood and 

occasion


As for me, I prefer any movie where it stimulates my brain and makes me dig deeper into the hidden 

meaning and sometimes I want to watch some light and straightforward movie


Sometimes, people who watch many dark/crime/thriller/horror film tend to feel boring and they started 

to feel greedy for more excessive and extreme scene, 

but some of them just want some fresh and unique storyline from that genre


Some of people finding for new romance/melodrama movie and keen to watch the similar story based 

in the new piece coming due to resistance of twist

but some of them eager to find new spectrum or love story


I heard that some people is really into action film but many of them suddenly prefer some art 

melancholy film afterward


There is several people who are prepared themselves to have such precise and deep interpretations 

when watching a film and some others just want a straightforward story as they are not in the mood of 

deciphering


We all have our own favorite genre and we can't judge people's preference


A friend of mine is really into superhero/ fantasy sequel(Marvel) and even share me the flow to watch 

this whole films in a correct order

I watched the latest sequel, Avenger (end game) 3 times and several sequel of the related films

I don't watched all the movie in correct order but still can't deny the epic, outstanding storyline

I found it is interesting as it is related and entangle to each other

It was supercool

But, even it is the best movie of 2019, I still unable to say that I really love it with my wholehearted 

because 

I'm 

not 

into 

superhero/fantasy 

genre

so even if u giving me the best of superhero/fantasy movie, still I can't enjoy it due to that reason

The action scene where they used their power and stuff is super excellent, flawless and it use very high 

CGI technology

I praised that but to be frank, 

it don't really captured me and don't force me to like it tho

It just that I'm not into it

What makes me attract to it just because the storyline, the melodrama and time-travel element in it


From these writing,

I can conclude that everyone of us has our own favorite genre, our own preference and expectation 

when choosing a film 

That is why we come out with different feedback because..


 A Story is not for Everyone


Some overwhelm and some disappointed

That is normal

That is why I have always trust to my own view and at the same time, appreciate and believe with 

other people's view

I also always shield myself from getting influence by others points of view and stick to my opinion


If one day, I heard people over-praised an overrated film from my perspective or if anyone 

downgrade my favorite film, I can always smile and hold my stand and say it loud...

"it's oookay"


Btw, I will definitely write a review on Voice of Silence(2020) in another entry as I've discovered 

something rare and wanted to share


Thanks for reading.


2 comments: